Call MATLAB from Python
The MATLAB Engine API for Python provides a package for Python to call MATLAB as a computational engine. The engine supports the reference implementation (CPython). For supported version information, see Versions of Python Compatible with MATLAB Products by Release.
Engine applications require an installed version of MATLAB; you cannot run the MATLAB engine on a machine that only has the MATLAB Runtime.
- System Requirements for MATLAB Engine API for Python
What you need to write and build MATLAB engine applications for Python.
- Install MATLAB Engine API for Python
To start MATLAB engine within a Python session, install the engine API as a Python package.
- Get Started with MATLAB Engine API for Python
The MATLAB Engine API for Python provides a Python package named
matlabthat enables you to call MATLAB functions from Python.
- Start and Stop MATLAB Engine for Python
Options for starting the MATLAB Engine for Python.
- Call MATLAB Functions from Python
How to return an output argument from a MATLAB function. How to read multiple outputs from a function. What to do when the MATLAB function does not return an output argument.
- Get Help for MATLAB Functions from Python
From Python, you can access supporting documentation for all MATLAB functions.
- Connect Python to Running MATLAB Session
How to connect the MATLAB Engine for Python to a shared MATLAB session that is already running on your local machine.
Using MATLAB Workspace
- Use MATLAB Engine Workspace in Python
This example shows how to add variables to the MATLAB engine workspace in Python.
Data Exchange and Mapping
- Use MATLAB Arrays in Python
This example shows how to create a MATLAB array in Python and pass it as the input argument to the MATLAB
- MATLAB Arrays as Python Variables
matlabPython module provides array classes to represent arrays of MATLAB numeric types as Python variables so that MATLAB arrays can be passed between Python and MATLAB.
- Pass Data to MATLAB from Python
When you pass Python data as input arguments to MATLAB functions, the MATLAB Engine for Python converts the data into equivalent MATLAB data types.
- Handle Data Returned from MATLAB to Python
When MATLAB functions return output arguments, the MATLAB Engine API for Python converts the data into equivalent Python data types.
- Use MATLAB Handle Objects in Python
This example shows how to create an object from a MATLAB handle class and call its methods in Python.
- Default Numeric Types in MATLAB and Python
MATLAB stores all numeric values as double-precision floating point numbers by default.
Calling MATLAB Functions
- Call User Scripts and Functions from Python
This example shows how to call a MATLAB script to compute the area of a triangle from Python.
- Sort and Plot MATLAB Data from Python
This example shows how to sort data about patients into lists of smokers and nonsmokers in Python and plot blood pressure readings for the patients with MATLAB.
- Call MATLAB Functions Asynchronously from Python
This example shows how to call the MATLAB
sqrtfunction asynchronously from Python and retrieve the square root later.
- Redirect Standard Output and Error to Python
This example shows how to redirect standard output and standard error from a MATLAB function to Python